Interiors by Maria Killam
If you are an interior design professional, homeowner or design enthusiast and you want a simple, yet powerful system for consistently selecting the right colours for your projects, this is for you.
Celebrity designers still get away with making declarations like this to their audiences: "Colour is hard, all you can do is test it and hope that you get it right".
But that is FALSE! You CAN master colours if you know their undertones in a rational way with reasons behind your choices instead of mere intuition and guess work.
Developing your aesthetic as a decorator or interior designer takes a long time. Getting proficient in specifying the right colour used to take years — it took me 20 years to train my eye to see colour like I do.
But I know you don't have 20 years to spare. So I have condensed everything I know into 1 three-day course, where I share all my insider secrets that took me 20,000 hours to learn. You'll also discover the best way to sell a classic and timeless look and feel.
You CAN learn how to select the perfect colours with ease and confidence. All you need is a system for selecting the right colours – a system that works each and every time.
When you have that system, you can:
- Diagnose exactly what is going on, and what should be going on, when you walk into a home.
- Know exactly where to begin, every time
- Create a colour scheme that pulls the look of a home together
- Distinguish undertones in complex neutrals and whites
- Create a niche, specializing in colour
- Become known as a True Colour Expert™!
“I learned things here I NEVER learned in interior design school… I recently attended Maria's True Colour Expert™ training. I'm a licensed interior designer and will tell you this class is so worth it. I learned things here I NEVER learned in school or 20 years of practice! Maria is even more charming in person than she appears in her blog. Go, go, go. It “s so worth the money. Your clients (and you) will benefit immediately.” Val Short, True Colour Expert™ Principal, GBNA Consulting www.jacobs.com
Colour is the foundation of any design project. How long are you going to wait until you're really good at colour?
MY COURSE INCLUDES:
- Three days of live, in-person training by world reknown colorist Maria Killam
- Your own complete and extensive work book filled with useful cheat sheets.
- Business forms you'll need for your business and information you can refer back to as you build your experience and train your eye.
- Paint colour fan decks (Value $55)
- Certification as a True Colour Expert™
- A $350 photography tip you'll start using immediately.
- Catered lunch, coffee, soft drinks and snacks each day
- An on-line training webinar for exterior: How to Choose Exterior Colours with Confidence (a $297 value)
Everything about my colour training is hands-on, no-nonsense, this-is-how-you-do-it, information. And the best part is that the mentoring continues, by Maria and the over 300 members of her private forum, for True Colour Expert™ graduates ONLY on a private Facebook page.
New Jersey – True Color Experts ™ 2016
REGISTER TODAY for my live 3-day training during which you learn a SYSTEM that actually REMOVES the confusion and guesswork from choosing the correct paint colours for any space! Get ready to transform the way you look at colour, the way you choose colour, AND the way you view your skill when it comes to colour!
You'll receive instant access to my powerful webinar, How to Choose Exterior Colour with Confidence in which I walk you through the process a professional goes through to arrive at precisely the right colour choice for the exterior of a home or building. This process saves you hours of trial and error, hours of holding a fan deck up to the outside of a building, and hours of asking your friends and neighbors how they chose their colours! It will instantly take the wide world of paint colours (thousands) and narrow it down to a manageable number from which to select the perfect colour. (I usually charge $297, but when you enroll now, you get it absolutely free!)
When you enroll today and complete the training, you also receive the following BONUSES!
Access to a private graduate-only Facebook page, where you can interact with other True Colour Expert™ graduates! These alumni regularly check in with me and other graduates to ask for advice about their design projects, get a second (or third or fourth) opinion, and to take advantage of the international resource forum.
A Certified True Colour Expert™ button to display on your website, so your prospects and clients know you've received training of the highest caliber – and that you are a True Colour EXPERT™.
A $50 discount on THE most indispensable tool every colour consultant should have! Too many colour consultants rely on their architectural colour kits to show paint options to clients. My hand painted large colour boards will transform the success of your colour consultations. Now both you and your client will be able to see what a colour really looks like and easily identify the undertones!
My books!My How to Choose Paint Colours; It's all in the Undertones AND my second indispensable eBook White is Complicated; A Decorators Guide to Choosing the Right White
2016 WORKSHOPS IN YOUR AREA:
- LOS ANGELES – September 28, 29, 30
- CHAROLOTTE – October 18, 19 & 20, 2016
- WASHINGTON DC – October 12, 13, 14, 2016
- TAMPA FLORIDA – November 9, 10, 11, 2016
- UPPER MONTCLAIR NJ – November 16, 17 & 18, 2016
" What I learned in design school doesn't compare to what I have learned from Maria. I am a residential Interior Designer with almost 10 years of design experience and I hold a design degree. I have taken Maria's Color [training], purchased both her large paint samples and eBook. What I learned in design school doesn't compare to what I have learned from Maria. Her tools have given me the confidence to stand up for my color choices and explain WHY I've chosen them to my clients. My newfound knowledge has given my clients extreme confidence in my abilities and they continue to hire me and refer me to their friends and family. In a business that's built on trust and referrals what more could you ask for. I would highly recommend Maria's training and her eBook to students and experienced Interior Designers and Decorators alike."Jennifer Reynolds, Interior Designer, Jennifer Reynolds Interiors www.jenniferreynoldsinteriors.com
A little about me ..
Maria Killam, CEO and Founder of Understanding Undertones™ – the Color System
My name is Maria Killam, and I am the creator of Understanding Undertones™ – The Color System and the author of How to Choose Paint Colours, it's all in the Undertones and White is Complicated; A Decorators Guide to Choosing the Right White.
I have taught thousands of design professionals and colour enthusiasts how to transform the way they see colour forever with my proprietary Understanding Undertones™ system.
People often ask me "Why your system? What is Understanding Undertones?"
The first thing you need to know about my system is it's a helpful way to organize colour in your head so you can make clear choices. It gives you guidelines to follow rather than rules that can't be broken.
Do you remember studying the Periodic Table in your high school chemistry class? In 1869 Dmitri Mendeleev organized and published the first widely recognized periodic table. He developed this table to show trends in the properties of chemical elements.
He didn't invent these chemical elements. What he did was study them so thoroughly that he noticed patterns in how they were configured and how they behaved. Ever since he published this table scientists have been using it to understand and predict how chemical elements behave.
My system is the periodic table of understanding undertones: it gives you clear sense of how colours behave in every space.
Colour Theory isn't enough anymore
Sir Isaac Newton gave us the colour wheel, and many of us get basic colour theory – primaries, secondaries, complimentraries, etc. based on his concept. But he was trying to understand the spectrum, not coordinating fabrics and tiles and other finishes. The colour wheel has very little to tell us about working with complex neutrals and whites in interiors.
Understand Undertones is an applied system and not theory, it will show you useful patterns in how colours are related to each other, how colours behave and how to get colour to do what you want every time.
And the best news of all – you can ignore 95% of the fan deck.
My system eliminates the confusion of endless neutrals. Why? Because there are 9 neutral undertones in the world and once you have a gradation of them (from light to dark), you no longer need to sift through hundreds to find the right one. I've identified the 50 Core neutrals and 50 nice-to-have's that work in virtually every scenario.
Need to choose a neutral? 95% of the time, you'll find it in the Core Neutrals. I've done the hard work of finding the exact neutrals, you need to know about. They make it easy to coordinate paint colours to the granite, tile or sofa you're working with.
Once you learn this system and have developed competency with it, you will know if and when to bend the rules. But first you need to learn how to look at colour and categorize it. You need to learn your ABCs before you can start to get creative with your language.
Is this the right time to invest in your business??
If you're building a business – or even if you're a homeowner who wants to learn exactly how to select the right colours for your home – then you may be unsure about whether this is the right time to spend money?
Maria with the True Color Experts ™ Charlotte, NC
First of all, consider this course an investment rather than a cost. It's an investment on which you can expect a HUGE return! If you are making big design decisions, it's very easy to make a $2500 mistake.
If you're an interior design professional, becoming a True Colour Expert™ is absolutely the best investment you can make!
Not only will you carve out a niche for yourself as the go-to expert in your area, but you'll also easily transition your clients from consult-only clients to full-on design clients, dramatically increasing your bottom line. And if you're a homeowner, imagine how good it will feel to know, with confidence, that you’re choosing colours that will give your home exactly the feel you want it to have, in every room!
"What I learned has increased the money I make! I came home and picked out my house colors in about 1/2 hour. What I learned and the references we put together in your class made the choices almost obvious! I've become more professional, more efficient and have been able to book more clients – which has increased the money I make!" Hannah Dee, True Colour Expert™ Interior Designer, Color Consultant, Hannah Dee Interiors www.hannahdeeinteriors.co
How much is that worth to you?
I believe it's invaluable. That's why the $1,997 ticket price for my 3-day event seems more than reasonable. And of course, you'll earn that back as soon as you land just a few new, awesome clients, which I'm sure you'll do once you complete this training! AND, you make this investment at no risk because you're covered by my 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If, by the end of the last day, you don't think this is the best colour course you've ever done, simply turn in your class materials and I'll give you a full refund.
Here's an overview of what you'll learn and what the course includes:
The first day is, for many of my students, their favourite day, because it's a day of transformation. How you "see" colour before the day starts and how you "see" colour by the end of the day typically becomes one of those moments where the world looked one way when you entered the class and another way by the time you leave at the end of the day.
The highlights of day 1 are:
- How trends impact your business and why you need to understand them.
- How to really evaluate complex and sometimes difficult neutrals and whites. You'll complete a series of exercises in breaking down and distinguishing neutral undertones and whites.
- You'll do the work of categorizing a set of colours and build your own colour reference guide you'll be able to take home with you and use as a helpful resource.
- How to understand neutrals that can sometimes seem to change right in front of your eyes when you look at them in a certain context.
- You'll start to learn the language of explaining "why your suggestion is the right one" or to put it another way how to explain why your intuition informed choice is more accurate than what your client is suggesting' and a big part of this is learning how to compare colour so that your client can see what you can see.
Day 2 builds on the work you've completed on the first day:
- Having established the foundation of how to see and categorize colour, we go on to the nuts and bolts of how to actually go through the interior of a home and specify colour. And give you the first steps in gaining confidence.
- I will take you, step by step, through my 10 Step Colour Confidence Method which is a system you'll use when consulting with clients. Plus you'll watch me walk through actual client consultations where you will have an opportunity to see how a master colourist does it.
- Throughout the day, you'll work with with actual fixed elements and furnished items with the language you'll have learned by having read my book, How to Choose Paint Colours – It's All in the Undertones and White is Complicated).
- In breakout groups you'll work together to pick the best colour/s for an interior. You'll do several of these exercises, enough times so you start to develop a feel for how a colour consultation goes.
- Thursday night we all get together at a local, reasonably-priced restaurant after the class ends. To eat, chat and get to know each other.
Maria with her design assistant Tricia
Day 3 is all about the Business of Colour:
- The third day you'll learn the business of colour and design. I'll share how I developed my successful business model and you'll discover which pieces you can map onto your business.
- What you need to do to set yourself up for success
- How and what to charge for your services
- How to ask for the money
- Design has evolved to where we now source most of the items we need for any project on-line. The better you get at seeing the 9 undertones in my system, the easier it will be for you to source specific items on-line and get very accurate. "You would be amazed at how most things that arrive for my client projects are exactly the right colour we thought they would be. Just because I could distinguish, in advance, the neutral undertones in the rug, pillow, or duvet that I needed."
- You'll learn my insider secrets on how I work with clients on-line, choosing and specifying colour for their interiors and exteriors, so you can add this valuable and lucrative service to your list of offerings.
"Working with two or three new clients each week! I've specified colors for several clients since I took your class last month. Thanks to your expertise, I fairly quickly made selections based on UNDERTONES. YAY!!! Beautiful spaces. Thrilled clients. Happy and grateful me! Working with two or three new clients each week and really excited about what's in store." Stacey Guest Murphy, True Colour Expert™ Stager, Interior Redesigner and Color Consultant, Homestretch Redesigns, www.homestretchdesigns.com
Frequently Asked Questions
Maybe you're still not sure whether this training is right for you. I've included some of the questions I hear most frequently, and their answers, to help you determine whether it's a good fit for you.
Q: I'm a brand new designer (or, I'm a homeowner). Will I feel out of place at this training?
A: No! Absolutely not. Everyone who attends this training is learning MY system for the very first time. Many new designers attend because they want to start out on the right foot as they build their businesses. And many homeowners and design enthusiasts attend because they want a solid foundation of understanding colour and trends. They want to be able to argue coherently with their contractor. Bottom line: They want to learn how to make the right colour choices on their own! It's easy to make a $2000 mistake when renovating or building your house that you'll regret as long as you're in that house!
Q: I read your blog religiously. Haven't I learned everything you have to teach?
A: There's really nothing that replaces a live training experience. At the end of three days, participants are astounded with everything they have just learned and, most importantly, you'll be getting it all in the right order. Yes you can find everything for free on-line these days, but it won't be in the right order, and if it's not in the right order, it's far less useful. Join me and learn all my best practices, while taking your knowledge of colour to the next level, for real mastery.
Q: Can't I learn the information you cover in this training in a book?
A: No, this is my own personal system I developed after performing thousands and thousands of design and colour consultations.. No one else teaches it, because no one else knows it!
Q: Can't I learn the information you cover in this training by reading your eBooks?
A: I wrote my eBooks to widely share the principles of my system, and they are full of great information you can use right away. What makes coming to my training so transformative is that we spend these three days working with actual projects and exercises. We go through endless examples and I ask questions like, "What's the undertone here?" and "What's wrong with this room? How would you fix it?" You will go beyond understanding principles to developing experience around colour. And you'll leave with a level of confidence that would be hard to achieve through reading any book no matter how great it is.
Q: How can I justify this investment when my business is struggling?
A: If your business is struggling, you need to do something different. When your customers and clients can sense your confidence, your business increases exponentially. You can command higher rates and work with your ideal clients (who not only pay you happily, but also really listen to – and heed – your advice).
"The colour information is invaluable. I have always known that some colours work better together than others, but until I took Maria's True Colour Expert™ training I did not understand why. During the training , I began to understand the impact that undertones have when choosing paint, finishes and fabrics. Since becoming a TCE, I have avoided some big colour mistakes and don't go to any consultation without my large "Maria" samples and her voice in my ear asking " what are the undertone(s) in this space?" I HIGHLY recommend that all Interior Designers, Interior Decorators, Stagers and Stylists consider taking this course the colour information is invaluable." Maureen Coates, True Colour Expert™ Owner, MODECOR Inspired Interiors www.maureenatmodecormuses.blogspot.ca
Why wait? Where else can you go and learn in 3 days how to be a great designer?
I understand that I'm covered by your 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If, by the end of the second day, I don't think this is the best colour course I've ever taken, you'l give me my money back.
Why wait any longer to finally "get" colour, and feel absolutely confident in selecting colours that make each and every project sing?
When you become a True Colour Expert™ you can rest assured knowing you're able to give your clients exactly what they want, and more importantly, you're adding to your bottom line in everything you do.
Questions? Send us an email at