I am not an accent-wall-happy colourist. Personally I think they are mostly dated (from the 80’s & 90’s). The minute I say this, I know I’ll get emails with questions starting with, ‘I know you don’t like accent walls, but what do you think. . . ?’ So I’m starting this post with a disclaimer; I don’t entirely dislike accent walls when they are tastefully done There are times when I suggest them and times when they don’t work at all. Here are 10 ways to know if an accent wall is right for your home:
3. Do you have a small character home with heavy molding everywhere (base and crown) small square rooms? Then mostly I would say no. In this room below, the accent wall works because it’s a totally symmetrical room, and you can see that they’ve taken a paler shade of lavender and continued that along the rest of the walls.
4. Do you have a contemporary or modern home? If your answer is yes, than an accent wall on a focal point wall (below) could be completely appropriate and fabulous!
5. Do you love wallpaper or stripes? If you love it but don’t want to commit to an entire room, the focal point wall (below) is a great place for it!
6. Do you have bookshelves or a niche to paint? Accent colours can look fabulous inside them!
7. Does your dining room need to be defined by another colour? If your dining room is simply on the other side of the living room, painting that wall (below) can be a great way to make a statement! (But only if it doesn’t have a window, if you have a 50’s house with an L shaped room – this doesn’t apply to you!).
9. Are you missing a headboard or have too much white [bedding] in your Bedroom? Then an accent wall could be the way to create the feeling of drama and colour that you are looking for. Just don’t leave the other 3 walls out!
10. Does your fireplace stone go right up to the ceiling? If it does then don’t even think about painting that wall! It just cuts the colour in half and doesn’t look good!
Hopefully these guidelines (remember they are not rules which are meant to be broken) will help you when considering if an accent wall would work in your home!
Like what you've read?
Are you renovating or building a house and
need to know where to start?
Do you feel overwhelmed by all the
decisions you need to make?
My 32 Insider Design & Colour Secrets will help you
navigate my blog to get the answers you need.
Get it ABSOLUTELY FREE, along with colourful updates
delivered right to your inbox.
"I feel like I'm learning "secrets" that I didn't know before
that helps me avoid mistakes I'd make on my own."
Lee, Colour Me Happy Fan